The coat of Arms were originally granted in 1730 to Thomas Lubbock of the city of Norwich with limitation to the heirs and other descendants of Richard Lubbock his father who had died in 1717 being then Mayor of that city.
The family tradition which connects the origin of the name with the German port of LUBECK probably arose from the similarity of the names.Lubeck did have a close trade connection with Norfolk, particularly in the thirteenth century; and the Close Rolls 12 and 14 Edward II. ,certainly mention John de Lubyk as giving bail in the matter of a ship wreck on the Norfolk coast , but the wreck and plunder of the ship from Lubeck seem the sole connection . If as the name indicates the Lubbocks were of saxon origin it is probable that they were settled in England long before the days of the Hanseatic League.
The earliest known record of the family Lubbock is in the Return of the Poll Tax 2 or 4 Richard II AD 1378-9. They appear to be chiefly settled in a group of parishes in Norfolk a few miles from Cromer . The wills of Robert Lobuk and his wife Cecilia in 1493 of North Walsham who are direct descendants of our family left bequests for the repair of the churches in Wickmere, Aldborough , and Hanworth.
There are remarkably few records of the name outside this area , and before the seventeenth century the only recorded instance in Norwich is of Richard Lubbock a worsted weaver made Freeman of Norwich Henry V. AD 1421. The indexes to the wills at Somerset House do not contain a single reference beyond the Norfolk Lubbock, however there are two Petitions among the Treasury Papers volxxxi., No.23 from Samuel Lubbocke of Bristol AD 1694 who appears to have taken part in the revolution of 1688. Whether the Lubbocks of Texas in the Americas are derived from this branch of the family is worth further research.
In 1738 the purchase of the Lamas property was made by Rev. William Lubbock. The Earliest family portrait whichhung at High Elms was of John Lubbock the father of the rector of Lamas being “painted 1728 AEtatis suis 60.
There then appears to be two branches of the family the Wickmere Lubbocks who were yeoman or small land proprietors and whose wills can be traced from 1462 to the end of the seventeenth century . The North Walsham family were cordwainers . Norfolk was celebrated for it’s flourishing worsted industry; the name came from the village of Worstead, situated between North Walsham and Coltishall. The high Altar of Worstead Church received a bequest in Robert Lobuk’s will A.D. 1493 and he had property there.
From the purchase of Hig Elms in 1728 the fortunes of the family steadily progressed the business of the Banking House was established in 1772 at No 14 Abchurch Lane , in the city of London. It was called Messrs. Lemon ,Buller, Furley, Lubbock and Co. The company moved premises to 11 Mansion House and the name changed with the demise and succession of the partners the name Lubbock remaining constant for the following hundred years.
In 1860 the firm consistng of sir John William Lubbock and his sons John , Henry and Beaumont joined the old established bank Robarts,Curtis and Co. and from No.15 Lombard St. the business continued as Robarts , Lubbock and Co. until the amalgamation with Coutts.
The REv.William Lubbock was the fourth son of John Lubbock and Elizabeth Webster born in 1700 was a graduate and Fellow of Caius College Cambridge he took the rectory of Lamas and Little Hautbois in 1731 and having purchased his first property in Lamas in 1738 he married the daughter of the High Sherriff of Norfolk Elizabeth Cooper in 1742.He died in 1754 and his will mentions properties in North Walsham, Calthorpe , Wickmere, Felmingham and Suffield. For a clergyman and the fourth son to boot he was a man of property !
The eldest son of the Reverend was Sir John Lubbock the first Baronet born in 1744 .He married Elizabeth Commerell . Sir John was a Merchant and Banker in the City of London having founded the Bank in 1772 and was elected MP for Tintagel in 1801He was MP for Leominster from 1802 till 1812.He purchased No.23 St Jame’s Place from the Duke of St. Albans in 1802.He died without an heir so the title moved to his nephew the Son of his brother William Lubbock b.1746 and Ann Woodrow of Hautbois in Norfolk, called John William.
Sir John William b.1773 succeeded to the Baronetcy on the death of his uncle in 1816. A Banker and Merchant in the City educated at Charterhouse he represented Leominster in Parliament on the resignation of his uncle 1812-1820.He inherited also his London residence at No.23 St.James’s Place and purchased the High Elms Estate then 270 acres in March 1808.He married Mary Entwhistle of Rusholme, co Lancaster.
There was only one offspring born 19th May 1803 Sir John William Lubbock of Lamas and High Elms , F.R.S., Vice President and Treasurer of the Royal Society , Vice Chancellor of the University of London ;D.L. and High Sherriff for Kent 1852.He was educted at Eton; B.A. Trinity College Camvridge MA.1833 and married 29th June 1833 Harriet youngest daughter of Lt.Colonel George Hothamof York. Sir John was a distinguished mathematician and Astronomer; his works on the Moon and on the Tides being both scientifically and practically of great importance.He sold the properties in North Walsham and a portion of Lamas when he added largely to the High Elms Estate and built the Mansion in 1844 having pulled down the former house.He died at High Elms in June 1865 and was buried at Down leaving eight sons and 3 daughters.
Our family are descended from the second son Henry James Lubbock ,of Newberries, Co.Herts born 29 Eaton Place 7th Febb.1838, who was a Banker in the City and married 1866 Frances Mary youngest daughter of Rev. Henry Turton Incumbent of Betley, Co. Stafford by whom he had three sons and three daughters the second son being Grandfather Geoffrey Lubbock born 18th May 1873.